Tech law GEEK

20060525

Blawgging & Professionalism - Part I

I am honored to be the recipient of this year's State Bar of Texas Law Student Division Professionalism Award. I appreciate all the kind words from folks I've had the chance to meet and work with over the past year. It's flattering to be recognized by the State Bar for anything when you're just a student, but I do have a confession to make: I am not perfect. Sure, I (like many other students) passed the required Professional Responsibility course and the MPRE, so, technically, I've met the minimum requirements to get my license. That's not what professionalism is about, though. As the Texas Lawyer's Creed states:
Professionalism requires more than merely avoiding the violation of laws and rules


Professionalism sets a very high standard. One that, as imperfect as I am, I can only aspire to achieve.

So, what does this have to do with technology & law? I think the next generation of lawyers expects less privacy due to the prevalence of technology in so much of our daily lives. There is a generation gap between what stays private and what is visible to the public and because of these different levels of privacy expectations, there are also different expectations of what may be unacceptable or unprofessional behavior by future lawyers in their previously-considered-private lives.

This makes professionalism a challenge for students because what may have been acceptable behavior for many of their acquaintances is not acceptable behavior as a member of a profession. Although we all must go through additional ethics training after licensure, and even though many of us are tied up studying for the bar exam this summer, I think it's important to remember why we're working so hard to get past this last hurdle. In that vain, while I do not have time to comment or expand on all the items in the creed, I will post Part I (and more to follow) here as a reminder:

I. OUR LEGAL SYSTEM

A lawyer owes to the administration of justice personal dignity, integrity, and independence. A lawyer should always adhere to the highest principles of professionalism.

1. I am passionately proud of my profession. Therefore, "My word is my bond."
2. I am responsible to assure that all persons have access to competent representation regardless of wealth or position in life.
3. I commit myself to an adequate and effective pro bono program.
4. I am obligated to educate my clients, the public, and other lawyers regarding the spirit and letter of this Creed.
5. I will always be conscious of my duty to the judicial system.

Rate this post:
(data provided from NewsGator Online)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home