Tech law GEEK

20051111

On Veterans Day

I wanted to share something that I worked on over the summer when I was fortunate enough to take a course from Prof William J. Winslade, author of Confronting Traumatic Brain Injury: Devastation, Hope, and Healing (Yale Univ. Press 1998).

In a previous life, I was a pre-med undergrad and got an early start in the healthcare field volunteering and working at a Florida VAMC. For various reasons, I quickly narrowed my interests to psychiatry & pathology and at about the same time the VA also established the National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). I learned a lot about the condition back then, but, at the risk of disappointing my family, I opted not to pursue a medical career.

When I had the opportunity to take Prof Winslade's class on Law, Ethics, and Brain Policy this past summer, though, I couldn't resist incorporating that past experience into a short article I wrote about PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) affecting military personnel, which I called "WOTS Next: The War on Terror Syndrome." I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I am making the article available here in case my brief summary and the resources in the endnotes might help a veteran or someone caring for a veteran.

I know I will never forget the sacrifices those VA patients made, as have so many other veterans, so that a first generation Arab-American woman like myself could pursue her dreams, whatever they may be. This Tech Law Geek will always remember she's in their debt.

Thank you and God bless

Rate this post:
(data provided from NewsGator Online)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home